[ncdnhc-discuss] who pays for independent review?

Ethan Katsh katsh at legal.umass.edu
Tue Jun 25 15:01:58 CEST 2002

At 06:15 PM 6/24/02 -0500, you wrote:
>t,
>
>while this is working, do you have any specific proposals that actually
>relate to domain name policy? these are good days to address them...
>
>Alejandro Pisanty

         Since you ask, here is a simple proposal. Get rid of the
requirement in the Blueprint for Reform concerning the independent review
recommendation (Section 5: Bylaw Amendments and Alleged Infringements) that
will require the loser to pay the costs of an unsuccessful challenge. This
may appear fair but it will impact more on this constituency than any
other. Who on this list would risk a thousand dollars or more for the
chance to contest an ICANN bylaw? I'd prefer that ICANN bear the costs for
such requests, which are likely to be quite few in number since they are
limited to alleging bylaw violations, but even a system in which the loser
pays if the arbitrator finds the claim frivolous would be preferable.

Ethan