[ncdnhc-discuss] ISOC to bid on .org

James Love james.love at cptech.org
Sat Jun 8 18:45:15 CEST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kent Crispin" <kent at songbird.com>
: > What is your point on the turnout?
:
: The point has been made; you refuse to address it; that's fine.

    I do address it.  I assert that a low percentage turnout for a domain
name election holders is fine.  I suggest an even lower turn out rate for a
GNSO would be acceptable, because capiture would be unlikely (10,000 voters
for 1 percent of 1 million domain holders).  I say that with the current
turnout at CIRA, you have good outcomes.   How exactly do I "refuse" to
address this, but you somehow think you do?   You offer some half baked
opinions on turnout and capture for a domain name based election, where
there is no evidence of capiture, and you don't bother to scale to a larger
election for GNSO, and you don't look at self correcting mechansims, such as
staggered elections, which make capture more unlikely, even in theory.   But
so what, there is no evidence of an open mind on the ICANN staff on this
issue, and the CEO, your boss, has already said the issue is not open for
debate.

:
: > : You mixed up 4 different things; I'll just address one: the empirical
: > : evidence from the ICANN elections is very strong that they are simply
: > : not feasible, and that is well documented -- eg, the method of voter
: > : identification (physical mail) simply didn't work (there was a huge
: > : amount of returned mail from China, for example).
: >
: >     Well, ICANN's own study said the elections were feasiable, as
pointed
: > out by Adam.     The proposal was to use domain name registrations for
voter
: > registration, and why won't that work?
:
: As you know, in my opinion the ALSC (and the NAIS) simply ignored the
: issues of difficulties with elections, and I have documented that pretty
: thoroughly.

   Ok, we have the ICANN staff critique, or the Kent as volenteer critique?

:Using domain name registrants doesn't address the issues.
: Domain name registrations can be bought wholesale for $6;

   Even less than..... the $6 is a maximum.

: there is no
: effective method of verifying registrant identity at this point in time
: (that might change if there were worldwide laws that enforced
: identification standards on registrants, but I don't see that happening
: anytime soon.) So basically, using domain names adds nothing to the
: security -- in fact, it is less secure than the postal verification
: method used in the ICANN elections (which didn't work for other
: reasons).

   Under Whois policy, a gTLD or a registrar can lose its business if they
would engage this type of fraud.  I think that is a pretty severe sanciton.

: In the case of CIRA, the domain name registrations are in a single legal
: jurisdiction, one of the several things that make the CIRA case
: irrelevant to ICANN.

     How many gTLDs are there, for an election for board members for the
GNSO or how about elections for the board of .org?

: >     Also, who on ICANN staff works on the at-large.org web site and the
: > at-large.org activities?
:
: To my knowledge, nobody on the staff works on it.  Denise Michel manages
: the site -- she does it herself, with perhaps help from volunteers or
: consultants.

    Is Denise on the ICANN staff?  I asked her for help on the atlarge.com
elections, and she declined.

James Love mailto:james.love at cptech.org
http://www.cptech.org +1.202.387.8030 mobile +1.202.361.3040