[ncdnhc-discuss] ISOC to bid on .org

Kent Crispin kent at songbird.com
Sat Jun 8 18:11:45 CEST 2002

On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 11:07:12AM -0400, James Love wrote:
[...]
> What is your point on the turnout?

The point has been made; you refuse to address it; that's fine.

> : You mixed up 4 different things; I'll just address one: the empirical
> : evidence from the ICANN elections is very strong that they are simply
> : not feasible, and that is well documented -- eg, the method of voter
> : identification (physical mail) simply didn't work (there was a huge
> : amount of returned mail from China, for example).
>
>     Well, ICANN's own study said the elections were feasiable, as pointed
> out by Adam.     The proposal was to use domain name registrations for voter
> registration, and why won't that work?

As you know, in my opinion the ALSC (and the NAIS) simply ignored the
issues of difficulties with elections, and I have documented that pretty
thoroughly.  Using domain name registrants doesn't address the issues.
Domain name registrations can be bought wholesale for $6; there is no
effective method of verifying registrant identity at this point in time
(that might change if there were worldwide laws that enforced
identification standards on registrants, but I don't see that happening
anytime soon.) So basically, using domain names adds nothing to the
security -- in fact, it is less secure than the postal verification
method used in the ICANN elections (which didn't work for other
reasons).

In the case of CIRA, the domain name registrations are in a single legal
jurisdiction, one of the several things that make the CIRA case
irrelevant to ICANN.

>     Also, who on ICANN staff works on the at-large.org web site and the
> at-large.org activities?

To my knowledge, nobody on the staff works on it.  Denise Michel manages
the site -- she does it herself, with perhaps help from volunteers or
consultants.

--
Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be
kent at songbird.com                          lonesome."  -- Mark Twain