[ncdnhc-discuss] ISOC to bid on .org

James Love james.love at cptech.org
Sat Jun 8 02:05:42 CEST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Crocker" <dhc2 at dcrocker.net>
: Jamie and others make a habit of attacking Kent's involvement, although
: that involvement in this forum has been -- and continues to be -- 100%
: voluntary, using his personal time and personal funds.

    Dave, as I have said on many occasions, I am very pleased that Kent is
active on this list, and wish that more ICANN staff members were.    And
Kent often makes good points.  I think he is right to raise the issue of
voter participation in elections as an important issue.   However, if
someone like you does work for a registrar or registry (nuestar), or like
Kent, does work directly for ICANN (an earlier as a consultant), I don't
think you can ignore issues of conflicts of interest, and claim to be a
champion of non-commercial domain holders.   Kent is an ICANN staff member.
I like to see ICANN staff members participate in discussions, but to talk
about 100 percent a  volunteer, well, give me a break.     Kent is a smart
guy, with interesting things to say, and he is an ICANN staff member.   What
is wrong with that?  I don't think he is fighting for the boat club
membership interests here, but why even have a fight over that?  When he
leaves ICANN, then that's a different story.

  Jamie

James Love mailto:james.love at cptech.org
http://www.cptech.org +1.202.387.8030 mobile +1.202.361.3040