[ncdnhc-discuss] ISOC to bid on .org

Kent Crispin kent at songbird.com
Fri Jun 7 17:22:20 CEST 2002

On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 10:29:13AM -0400, James Love wrote:
[...]
>    Kent, as someone hired by ICANN for at-large.org, do you have complaints
> about the qualifications of the CIRA elected board members or the decisions
> they have made?

Your question is, as usual, irrelevant to the point that I made, but to
answer it anyway, no, I have no complaints whatsoever about the
qualifications of the CIRA elected board members or the decisions they
have made.  A difficulty with an election process says nothing at all
about the characteristics of the winners.

Just to reiterate my point, since you seemed to have deliberately
ignored it: a 3% turnout is not usually considered to be very good, and
in fact, many people would call it an "apparent difficulty".  I'm sure
that CIRA is hoping for a larger turnout this year.

There are numerous other issues with your example I could mention -- the
CIRA election is a very different kettle of fish than the global
elections that have been demanded of ICANN.  The CIRA elections are in
one country with one legal jurisdiction; the potential electorate is
much smaller; the level of cultural diversity in Canada doesn't compare
with the worldwide cultural diversity encountered in the ICANN
elections; CIRA dealt with 2 languages, ICANN would have to deal with a
very large number of languages; etc etc etc.

In other words, Jamie 1) there *were* apparent difficulties; and 2) even
if there weren't, your example is irrelevant -- my boat club might hold
an online election without "apparent difficulty", but that doesn't mean
that ICANN elections would be easy.

> I asked Jonathan Cohen also on this issue, but have not
> heard back.  As you know, Jonathan is on the CIRA board.

Yes, I know.

Just one more thing: In your usual steaming inneundo style you said
above "Kent, as someone hired by ICANN for at-large.org..."

I was not "hired by ICANN for at-large.org".  I registered the domain
name "at-large.org" back before you heard of DNS, in support of an
"at-large constituency" for the DNSO (that was an old term for an
individuals constituency).  I have donated that domain name to the at
large organizing efforts, and as soon as I can get the paperwork to
Joker.com, the registrant information will reflect that.

--
Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be
kent at songbird.com                          lonesome."  -- Mark Twain