[ncdnhc-discuss] ISOC to bid on .org

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Thu Jun 6 22:25:08 CEST 2002

At 02:27 PM 6/4/2002 -0400, Milton Mueller wrote:
>ISOC has evolved into an organization, that, while
>legally non-profit, functions more like a trade association
>of Internet-interested businesses and developers

A trade association performs 3 basic functions:

         1.  Forum for discussion among vendors

         2.  Lobby for legislation on behalf of vendors

         3.  Educate in support of vendor technology and products.

ISOC does none of these.

I have set up and run a couple of 501(c)(6) trade associations.  Feel free
to establish the basis for your incorrect assessment.

d/