[ncdnhc-discuss] How to do the NomCom?

James Love james.love at cptech.org
Tue Jun 4 22:01:53 CEST 2002

Alejandro,

I would start by considering how you select the NomCom.   Within the
framework on the Committee proposal, I would have the NomCom selected by
organizations that are not directly regulated by ICANN, and which are
independent from ICANN.   I would definitely not have the board appoint the
NomCom members.  I will put aside the issue of an at large for the moment,
to explore a few other issues concerning organizations that might elect
members to the NomCom.

In terms of the organizations that might choose the NomCom members, I would
pick organizations that represented the interests of end users.  (avoid
groups controlled by registar/registries)   If a sufficiently diverse number
of groups each could put a few members on the NomCom, then the ability of
anyone to control the process would be less, and that would be good.  If it
is going to be an elitist system, it could at least be one that is
relatively independent.

I think you have to address the IP issue directly, since some will ask that
the board be filled up with persons who only care about copyright (and
neighboring sui generis rights), trademarks or maybe even patent owners.
My opinon on this is that ICANN has gotten into a lot of trouble trying to
cater to this community, and it would be best to say that ICANN will enforce
the current UDRP and whois policies, and if the IP owners want more, they
should petition real governments, and the NomCom should focus instead on
groups that have some good technical skills, or groups that truly represent
end users.

If the NomCom allowed the IETF, ISOC, Consumers International, GILC some
International academic computing organization, the International Chamber of
Commerce, and a group of UN agencies, I would have ITU, UNDP and UNTAD, and
asked each to provide 5 to 10 private citizens to be on a NomCom, that would
be pretty decent, IMO.

Some have suggested that the NomCom qualify a pool of candidates (anyone
getting sufficient support among the members), and the "election" be made
through a random draw (like jury).

If you did all of this, and had a legally limiting (short leash)
terms-of-reference (put in the part about not getting into content, for
example) with someone (GAC, ITU, ?), you might have a lot of support.   This
would seem to address the interest in the BOD of avoiding capture by any
particular group, and the concerns of the grass roots that ICANN  could
become a private unelected big brother.

Just a quick thought.

Jamie