[ncdnhc-discuss] ISOC to bid on .org

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Tue Jun 4 06:00:07 CEST 2002

ISOC is now controlled by chapters, organizational members (any
entity that wants to pay a chunk of money to support ISOC -- GLOCOM
does and has done for 6 or 7 years) and the standards community
(IAB/IETF I think.)  ISOC's not a trade association, if I thought it
were it wouldn't get our money.

ISOC's been near bankrupt for years. As I understand it, the recent
reorganization was about trying to secure a steady supply of money so
it could do its work. Individual fee-paying members ($25 or $35/year,
I don't remember the amount offhand) were costing ISOC more in member
administration and services than their fee covered, so fees were
dropped and voting rights lost.

Thanks,

Adam