[ncdnhc-discuss] Joe SIms on The propsed NomCom

James Love james.love at cptech.org
Sat Jun 1 19:03:29 CEST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Sims" <jsims at JonesDay.com>
To: "James Love" <james.love at cptech.org>
Cc: "NCDNHC-discuss list" <discuss at icann-ncc.org>; "vint cerf"
<discuss at icann-ncc.orgdiscuss>; "Joe Sims"
<discuss at icann-ncc.orgdiscussdiscuss>
Sent: Saturday, June 01, 2002 12:55 PM
Subject: Re: The propsed NomCom

Jamie, if you were trying to be productive, you would quote the entire text,
which would show that the Committee is soliciting comments on how to
populate the NomCom.  Rather than throw out random hyperbole to see if any
of it sticks, why not actually try to contribute to the process by making
recommendations?  I know it is harder to play a constructive role than it is
to simply issue knee-jerk criticism, but I also know you are capable of it
when you want to.  Now would be a good time.,

IV. Nominating Committee Composition and Responsibility

Since this body, in our conception, will be responsible for selecting a
significant portion of the Board, it should be a body that is broadly
representative of the entire ICANN community. This is a challenge, of
course: to create a broadly representative and diverse body that is small
enough to function, likely to be able to locate the kind of people ICANN
needs each time the selection is made, and able to persuade them to be
willing to serve on the Board. The NomCom should particularly include people
that know and have access to many other people who could potentially be
productive Board members, since a major part of this job will be to persuade
people who may not have otherwise considered the possibility of serving on
the ICANN Board.

In our view, the NomCom must include both delegates (we use that word to
reflect our view that, while they may come from a particular community, they
have a broader responsibility and should not be subject solely to
instructions from that community) from the various policy-development bodies
and advisory committees of ICANN (including the GAC) and from other groups
with interests in the information society and the Internet. It should draw
from the technical community (especially those who have broad knowledge
about the strengths and weaknesses of various members of the technical
community), as well as from the various social communities interested in
ICANN's work. It might include former Board members and others with direct
knowledge of what skills are necessary to be an effective ICANN Board
member. In our view, it should be chaired by a sitting Board member who is
not up for reappointment; this Chair should be non-voting but responsible
for managing the process to a successful conclusion in a timely manner.

There is a broad range of sizes proposed for the NomCom, as well as for the
duration of terms for its members.

      Q5. Comments Requested: We choose not to specify at this time a
recommended size or composition of the NomCom, but we invite specific
suggestions for exactly how it should be composed, consistent with the views
expressed above.

The NomCom would be open to recommendations from any and all sources, and
would be expected to consult with all the various ICANN communities in
arriving at an appropriate slate of new Board members. There have been some
suggestions that either the final slate as a whole, or the individuals that
make up that slate, should be ratified by the Board to ensure that the
candidates selected in fact meet the needs of the Board at that time. We
have not adopted this suggestion at this time, but it is worth further
consideration.

      Q6. Comments Requested: We solicit comment on whether the selections
of Board members by the Nominating Committee should be subject to
ratification by the Board.

In addition to the selection of Board members, the NomCom should be
responsible for the selection of those members of SO Steering Committees
that are not directly selected by the SO members or constituencies.

Joe Sims
Jones Day Reavis & Pogue
51 Louisiana Avenue NW
Washington, D.C. 20001
Direct Phone:  1.202.879.3863
Direct Fax:  1.202.626.1747
Mobile Phone:  1.703.629.3963

The preceding e-mail message (including any attachments) contains
information that may be confidential, be protected by the attorney-client or
other applicable privileges, or constitute non-public information. It is
intended to be conveyed only to the designated recipient(s). If you are not
an intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender by replying
to this message and then delete it from your system. Use, dissemination,
distribution, or reproduction of this message by unintended recipients is
not authorized and may be unlawful.