[ncdnhc-discuss] clarification (sort of) on ICANNatlarge.com and other ICANN "at-large" things

J-F C. (Jefsey) Morfin jefsey at club-internet.fr
Fri Jul 19 00:41:52 CEST 2002

Bravo, Todd. You are IMHO on the good track. The ICANN's difficulty is the
transition from the ".arpa" culture to the international/multinational
culture. We all share difficulties in that transition because some matters
are local and others are netwide and multinationality is something new to
individuals.

Some also - as in the US case - have more impacts on the networl. But this
is probably a temporary thing: coming to normal ways - such as a
considering the local Internet communities - can only help the
normalization of the whole ICANN.  But we should not in the process lose
the multinational experience,  and should work out good relations among
associations and real cross association specialized groups.

The NCC certainly could be a good spot to try that, capitalizing on the
existing ties and experience? We need local seeds, but wa are so few.
Grandiose visions such the IDNO shown they are complex to develop. As you
know we plan to initiate a project in France along the same idea this
falls, having been late before the vacations. US and France are the two
most representated countries in the DNSO. Why not to try to help each other
creating something concrete. Outreach is a real pain, with a (s)low
response. Sharing experience and results might help. I suppose Germany -
large number too - Australia and NZ, very active - could also have their
own effort.

The @large will provide us a good number of new interested and interesting
people. But the NCC is the place for their association.
jfc