[ncdnhc-discuss] INVOICES.

kent at songbird.com kent at songbird.com
Tue Jan 29 17:51:14 CET 2002

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 08:08:21AM -0800, Barbara Simons wrote:
> I agree with Norman that ICANN should not have sent a
> 3 MB file to anyone, but especially not to people living in
> countries with flakey phone lines and high dial-up fees.
>
> Would it be possible for the NCDNHC to make an official
> request of ICANN that it establish a policy to guarantee that
> this mistake will not be repeated.

By all means.  Perhaps we should also ask for official policies
concerning font selections and which versions of software to use.  Then
we could graduate to policies specificying paperclip sizes and paper
thickness.

>  As I said in an earlier note,
> the person making the mailing did not realize what he had done
> until I complained.  But there should be some policy in place
> that prohibits mass mailings of huge files from ICANN headquarters
> unless there is some extraordinary reason for doing so.
> And at a minimum the person making the mailings should realize
> what he or she is doing.

It was simply a *mistake*, and it will be corrected.  It is a common
trait of the bureaucratic mindset to try and correct every mistake with
a new policy, but as the policies proliferate, the number of mistakes
proliferate (because people lose track of policies that deal with
minutia), and the whole system disintegrates.

--
Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be
kent at songbird.com                           lonesome." -- Mark Twain