[ncdnhc-discuss] Competition and the ORG report

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Thu Jan 24 01:00:29 CET 2002

Register.com, Nominet, DENIC would not qualify as "dominant"
under any definition that I have seen, since none of them
occupy anything more than 3 percent of the global
registry market.

Remember that these statements are not binding stipulations
in the registry contract but policy guidance intended to
help the board figure out to whom to make the initial
delegation. I would be happy to add a statement to that
effect if it would make you sign on.

>>> Rob Courtney <rob at cdt.org> 01/23/02 02:34PM >>>
Milton--

Increasing competition is important but some additional discussion
might be useful on this. Are non-commercial interests best served by
excluding potentially low-bidders from contracting in .org? What if
the new .org operator wants to contract with Register.com, Nominet,
DENIC, or other major providers? What if they want to contract with
VeriSign five years from now? And why should the .org registry be
forced to operated under restrictions on its backend services that no
other gTLD is required to meet? There seem to be a lot of questions
that I'm not sure are answered. It would be good for the constituency
to at least acknowledge them before approving this.

>OK, I have had several favorable comments and no
>objections. I will replace the word "provider" with
>"actor" and forward it as constituency-supported addition
>to the ORG report.
>
>--MM
>

>  "NCDNHC urges the Board to increase competition and
>  diversity and encourage new investment in the
>  provision of gTLD registry services, by ensuring the
>  market position of existing dominant actors are not
>  entrenched nor enhanced through participation in,
>  taking an interest in, or contracting to deliver
>  critical services to, the new .org management
>  organisation."

Rob Courtney
Policy Analyst
Center for Democracy & Technology
1634 Eye Street NW, Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20006
202 637 9800
fax 202 637 0968
rob at cdt.org
http://www.cdt.org/

  --

Add your voice to the Internet policy debate!
    JOIN THE CDT ACTIVIST NETWORK!