[ncdnhc-discuss] Competition and the ORG report

Marc Schneiders marc at fuchsia.bijt.net
Wed Jan 23 21:11:25 CET 2002

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, at 16:51 [=GMT-0300], Raul Echeberria wrote:

> Rob:
>
> Very good comments!. I share your doubts.

I do not. Although excluding existing big players might mean that new .ORG
will not be able to get the cheapest deal, I think it is in the interest
of all internet users, including non-commercial ones, that there is more
competition. The deal between ICANN and VeriSign did include the
divestiture of ORG precisely for that reason.

In the long run more competition will keep services and prices at better
levels. We are talking about a regulated market.

As for other TLDs: ICANN could do something about competition there too,
esp. when more new gTLDs will be introduced.

Marc