[ncdnhc-discuss] Hopeful solution - converting membership checks at no cost

KathrynKL at aol.com KathrynKL at aol.com
Wed Jan 16 21:03:09 CET 2002

To NCC:
I read with dismay about the high charges our members must pay to convert
their local currencies into US dollars to pay ICANN.  It is hard enough to
come up with the membership fee, no one should have to pay additional fees. I
have spent hours on the phone with my bank, and ** my bank will clear foreign
currency checks without a charge.**

I can offer the following service to the Constituency:
- If you send me a membership check from your organization, in your local
currency, I
  will clear it at no cost and send the money on to ICANN.

I will place your check in my IOLTA account. This is a special bank account
held by attorneys for funds that are given to them in trust (which means that
the money does not belong to the attorney).   After the checks have cleared,
I will send them on to ICANN in US dollars.  I will also notify Dany
Vandromme, our NCC representation in charge of membership fees of their
arrival.

Here is the procedure I propose:
1) If your organizations has access to a credit cards, wire transfers or easy
conversion to US currency -- ** go ahead and continue to pay ICANN directly.**
2) If conversion is a problem, then if you feel comfortable, you can send
your check to me for clearing and forwarding to ICANN.  The check must be
payable to **Kathryn A. Kleiman, Esq., IOLTA.**
3) Send email about your check, organization, date of sending, and membership
fee to me, KathrynKl at aol.com and to Dany Vandromme (our NCC rep on membership
dues) at vandrome at renater.fr so we know it is coming.
4) Send the check to Kathryn A. Kleiman, Esq, Attention: Membership Dues,
McLeod, Watkinson & Miller, One Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Suite 800,
Washington DC 20001.
5) Make the check payable to Kathryn A. Kleiman, Esq., IOLTA.
6) Let me know in your note with the check (since currency values may have
changed) the amount of the membership fee (in US dollars) that you are paying.
7) Also in your note please tell me your organization's name, and the email
address and name of the person in your organization I should notify when the
check has cleared and the payment has gone on to ICANN.

Please only use this service if you feel comfortable with it, and with me.  I
hope it helps make the difficult process of paying membership fees a little
easier.

Regards,
Kathy Kleiman
Founding Director, ACM's Internet Governance Project
(Former NCC Adcom member and Names Council representative)