[ncdnhc-discuss] Welcome to adcom.org - Here is are two tests for your policies [EXPIRED TRIAL LICENCE]

Dr. Daniel Carras akadhmia at deltard.org
Thu Jan 10 11:19:30 CET 2002

1)
I typed in the name adcom.org and got this! Some companies have already paid for their
domain name, through ads such as this. They have spent money on ads, business cards, etc.
. The companies have bought their names in good faith. Confusion, delays and poor customer
service are they halmarks of the Verisign/Educause edu TLD divestiture. I have yeat to set
how your policies will avoid these problems.

2)
Poor customer service, confusion and delays have for the edu TLD have force schools to use
ther TLDs (http://schoolofphilosophy.org/). The result has killed the edu TLD and as such
does not properly represent the academic community that it is supposed to serve. Current
development in the commercial TLDs, has domain names a virtural no cost, due to bundling
with webservices. By the very nature of your non commercial policy - the .org TLD is
already more expensive than the commercial TLD. Further, with commercial TLDs you are not
required to seek approval to get a TLD,

["More broadly, the intent of the policy is to require an organization that bids for .org
to gain support and participation from a wide variety of noncommercial .org registrants.
ISOC, or ACM, or Hong Kong
University, for example, might want to "lead" an application, but the policy is trying to
tell them that their bid will be stronger if a lot of other organizations that are .org
registrants, and individual .org registrants, line up in support of their bid. Is that
intent clear?"]

How long will it take for a .org to be approved? Do you have any idea what it will now
cost to hire a lobbyist, just as many .org's currently, have fundraisers and grantwriters.
Will they be able to find funding for this? If any of you are any of the Charity Channel
lists ( http://charitychannel.com/forums/rules.htm ), you know that funds are hard to come
by. But consider that with the number of choices in the commercial TLD and the virtual no
cost of the domain name, why would any .org spend the time or money on non commercial TLD?
Particularly when you have people who have problems paying $25 USD!

If you continue along the line you currently are, you will destroy the non commercial TLD.
Which I suspect you will do, if you can't get past your ego's! (I have only seen one
message on the costs of operation! - "200 USD is 8 years of 25 USD...!!! Maintenance and
other costs are very high. -- Carlos Vera Quintana")

http://www.adcom.org/
--
Thank You
Dr. Daniel Carras
mailto:info at deltard.org
"Philosophy Incorporated: Our Product Is Thought"