[ncdnhc-discuss] Re: Mission creep and consumer protection

Jonathan Weinberg weinberg at mail.msen.com
Thu Feb 14 16:41:59 CET 2002

	It occurs to me that some of the differences between the
participants in this discussion lie simply in terminology.  Speaking
purely descriptively, and not normatively at all:  ICANN takes some
consumer-protection concerns into account in formulating its policies.
That's the point of the transfers task force, which is seeking to decide
what policy should govern so that registrants (that is, consumers) will be
able easily to effect transfers when they want to, while being protected
from transfers they haven't authorized.  Mandating registry pricing is
another way in which ICANN seeks to protect consumers.  In seeking to
devise such policies to protect consumers, ICANN is acting as a "consumer
protection body" in that sense.  On the other hand, ICANN is not setting
up a formal mechanism under which it will adjudicate particular complaints
by consumers that a registrar (say) has violated ICANN policies or rules
incorporating those concerns.  So ICANN is not acting as a "consumer
protection body" in *that* sense.  (The only area in which ICANN has
mandated such nitty-gritty adjudication in individual cases is the UDRP,
where the desired goal is trademark-owner-protection.)

	This is not to say that ICANN would ignore widespread complaints
by consumers that a registrar (say) was violating policies incorporating
consumer protection concerns; at some point, it would likely investigate
and consider taking action.  But it would do so on an ad hoc basis.

Jon

Jonathan Weinberg
weinberg at msen.com