[ncdnhc-discuss] Joe Sims

Jefsey Morfin jefsey at wanadoo.fr
Wed Feb 20 09:47:37 CET 2002

I have informed you recently of the Registrants Constituency preparation
efforts started at European initiatives. The visit of Joe Sims and other
elements only confirm that EEC, European Industry and Participants are
accepted as a serious possible threat to the Majors' attempts to take over
the naming plan, enlighted initiated by former IBM employee Stuart Lynn's
ICP-3 document, supported by IAB ATT engineers, enacted by Verisign a
partner of MS in Realnames.

In this the GA, the ALSC, the IDNO, the gTLD mailing lists are important
focal points where all of us may consider the best common interest of the
Internet Participants and show the BoD where reality lies.

IMHO Joe Sims lack understanding the very architecture of the network and
the XXIth century society. They want it legally centralised with GAC
Members being the ICANN "cops" to impose their contracting strategy to the
TLD Managers. The nets are not centralized and directed, they are not even
meshed and managed as the NIC+GAC could propose: they are distributed and
consensual. They are no block to carve with a few names, they are no stone
build with, they are sand flowing around.

What ATT/IBM/SAIC/MS are proposing may look nice, may look sensible but it
so conceptually outdated than it will not survive. And while it survives
and may develop it will block the network innovation of the largest number.
It will create permanent operation unrest, unstability and lack of security
until the day it collapses under the market tide.

If we could organize as structured @large : industries, business, content
providers, registrants, users, IP owners, in a smooth organization, just
liberalizing and opening the ICANN existing structure we could cut a common
Internet Participant deal in the best interest of everyone.

Otherwise it will be a competition unfortunately understood by most round
the world as "US vs the rest of the world" because the leading opponents to
people privacy, independance, free naming, technical autonomy will happen
to be seated both in the USA and in their lack of vision.

As a European, as a partner with American, Chinese, Japanese, Australian,
Brazilean, African, Indian, Pacific, French and European developpers, I do
not want to be engaged in a so stupid fight and to waste energies in an
uncessary dispute of this magnitude.

Even if we will obviously win at the end of the day.
Jefsey