[ncdnhc-discuss] Election process mistake

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sat Feb 16 06:09:28 CET 2002

DNSO Secretariat:

This is incorrect!
A ballot never should have been sent out
without review and approval by Adcom.

Under our charter, each "small" member organization
gets ONE vote and each "large" member organization
gets TWO votes. The voting structure you describe
is incorrect and would have dramatically different
electoral effects.

Please do not send out messages purporting to state
the voting rules of an organization
unless you know what the rules actually are.

Also, the ballot does not include information
about the resolutions we need to vote on.

I don't know why this ballot was sent out -
it was never seen or approved by NCDNHC Adcom.

Members: Please disregard the current ballot and don't
send in any more votes. We will have to start
over. My apologies to the membership. This will
cause great confusion.

--MM

>>> DNSO Secretariat <DNSO.Secretariat at dnso.org> 02/15/02 21:58 PM >>>

Dear Raul,

My understanding is that each voter may cast up to 3 "x"
- 3 names - but the vote is subsequently calculated according
to the category of membership: small is weighted 1, large is 2.
In other words when a small member votes for A, B and C - each
of 3 selected candidates get one point. When a large member votes
for A, B and C - each of 3 selected candidates get two points.
This is the most common weighted vote.

It should probably be worded better:
   "You cast up to three "x", for three candidates."

Your question let me suppose that you envision another
possibilities, such as a large member could split its rights
to vote (points to give) to up to 6 candidates, while at the
same time a small member could not vote for more than 3 candidates.
Or, an opposite scenario, one voter may give all his points to only
1 candidate.
I was unaware that the whole combinatory possibilities are
acceptable to the Non Commercial group.
If indeed such is a case, please let me know.

Best regards,
DNSO Secretariat