[ncdnhc-discuss] Names Council agenda item request: discussion of wholesale price for names

todd glassey todd.glassey at worldnet.att.net
Tue Aug 27 01:47:30 CEST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Crocker" <dhc2 at dcrocker.net>
To: "Harold J. Feld" <hfeld at mediaaccess.org>
Cc: <discuss at icann-ncc.org>
Sent: Monday, August 26, 2002 4:15 PM
Subject: Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] Names Council agenda item request: discussion
of wholesale price for names

> At 06:20 PM 8/26/2002 -0400, Harold J. Feld wrote:
> >>You are confusing market-based SALE price with what I was talking about,
> >>namely actual operations COST.  Cost is not affected by public value.
> >>It is affects by... costs.  This is not a task for economists.  It is a
> >>task for folks experienced with putting together and operating a
> >>registration service.
> >
> >   Is there something so intrinsicly obvious looking about public policy
> > that anyone with an opinion thinks he or shecan just do it.
>
> First you confused operating cost with market pricing.  Now you are
> confusing operating cost with public policy.
>
> As you raise questions about expertise, please focus on the skillset that
> actually has to perform the exercise of estimating costs for a
> network-based registration service.  The skillset is operations planning
> and management and business finance, not abstract policymaking.

Dave is dead on here. The issue is that financial modeling only has minimal
ties here. They are only particular to some of the policies which constrain
the qualifications that the operations model must meet. For instance a
policy that Domain Changes throughout your system mandate certain
operational processes or more over facilities. So in that sense they can be
specific to cost operations models, but persay, a policy tyat says everyone
wears blue on tuesday probably has little financial impact on the
organization.

The real question is as Dave is saying "knowing what you are doing"...

SNIP

Todd