[ncdnhc-discuss] [long] The NCDNHC's .org report is numerically inconsistent.

J-F C. (Jefsey) Morfin jefsey at club-internet.fr
Wed Aug 21 17:54:24 CEST 2002

On 15:28 21/08/02, Thomas Roessler said:
>http://www.icann.org/tlds/org/applications/isoc/section5.html#c25A1
>
>1. ORGWatch
>This service, available at a nominal fee, will allow monitoring of  a .ORG
>domain name, or a keyword and its domains associated with  the keywords.
>Any changes to the domain name data for the linked  domains will result in
>a notification being generated.
>
>The keyword part of that sounds like what you really want when you're
>interested in suing or UDRPing everyone who registeres
><yourdomain>sucks.org as quick as possible.

Dear Michael,
as a US lawyer you must be familiar with 1996 revision of the communication
act. I am interested in the following.

1. prior to the Internet defintion given by 47 USC 230 (f)(1) the FNC
passed a definition on Oct 24, 95 in consultation with IP rights
representatives which talks about protocol, address continuity and access
to high layered services. None of the tow definitions talk about namespace
and domain names.

2. IP addresses are related to the hardware and lines. They therefore share
in the oganization of the telecommunication service. I certainly see how
the whois/DNS fall into the information service definition but I hardly see
how the delivery of a DN can fall into either definitions (it may be
carried by regular mail). One can therefore claim that DNs are informations
used together with the IP to partly permit the telecommunication
management. As such they should be protected by telecommunication regulations.

3. telecommunications regulations prevent operator to disclose information
on their subscriber without their prior consent. I hardly see how ORGwacth
may be legal if the registrant is not asked if the change he makes can be
disclosed under such a services (if I am right it is section 631) and if I
am correct it is to be in each case, what means that the watched
Registrants should be told the name of all the watchers.
jfc

1. if there in any jurisprudence trying to discriminate between
telecommunications and information services based upon the delivery/usage
of an IP address? (IMHO there is an obvious claim that hardware related
services are part of