[ncdnhc-discuss] ICANN Reform: Role of ITU

James Love james.love at cptech.org
Tue Apr 30 18:09:03 CEST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marc Schneiders" <marc at fuchsia.bijt.net>
> Well, eh, I didn't sent an email in support of that. Seriously, I would
> hope that some form of external restraint is possible. At present the only
> body in a position to do so is the Government of the United States. I
> would not mind, if a more international body would take over this or a
> similar position, but, but, but: not one that has clearly its own,
> potentially anti-internet, agenda, like the ITU.

   1.  I don't think a US only supervision is sustainable.
   2.  We have to work with real alternatives.  Adam is comfortable with
ICANN policing itself.  That is a real alternative.    Not mine, but the
view of many.
   3.   The ITU is the only global body intergovernmental that has expressed
any interest in this.  Is the ITU today incapable of playing a contructive
role?   The ITU "claims" it has seen the light on the internet.   It now
sees lots more liberalization of carriers, and local ISPs in most markets.
Would NGOs be able to manage an ITU involvement, on particular issues, such
as an external agreement on the boundaries of ICANN policy making.     Is
there a concern that if ITU gets involved, it will try to do too much?

Jamie

James Love mailto:james.love at cptech.org
http://www.cptech.org +1.202.387.8030 mobile +1.202.361.3040