[ncdnhc-discuss] UN and .un

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Tue Apr 30 17:02:30 CEST 2002

At 10:48 AM 4/30/2002 -0400, James Love wrote:
>I would like the NCC to ask ICANN to reverse policy, and permit the United
>Nations to create a .un top level registry.  This was discussed at the UN
>General Assembly last week.  There is an issue also with the the ISO 3166
>list of country codes, which currently has a claim on *all* 2 letter TLD
>codes.

The delegation of 2-letter TLDs to the ISO 3166 table was done so that IANA
did not have to make decisions about the nature and specifics of whether an
entity was a country.

Your suggestion either moves such a political decision over to ICANN or it
means that some 2-letter TLDs mean one thing and others will mean something
else.  The first expands the scope of ICANN policy making and the latter
creates some long-term confusion.

d/