[ncdnhc-discuss] One suggestion for .ORG TF participant!

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Fri Apr 26 17:29:05 CEST 2002

At 10:30 PM 4/25/2002 -0400, James Love wrote:
>     Dave, you act is if this if there are not a lot of firms that can do
>this.

There aren't.

More importantly, there ARE a lot of firms that can NOT do this.

>In fact, lots of firms operator big TLDs already, if you include the
>ccTLDS.

Most ccTLD operations are a fraction of the size that we are talking
about.  Running a large scale operation is different from running a
small-scale operation.

>       Well, actually in the second stage, the "choice" could be the Non-
>Profit, subject to approval by ICANN's due diligence, or the other way
>around -- ICANN could pick the operator, subject to approval by the non-
>profit.

Or the NCDNHC could pick it.  Or you could pick it.  Or we could run a
random lotterly.

The issue, James, is not that one can invent a scenario, it is that the
scenario needs to be practical.

By making the registry operator choice come after selection of the registry
you effectively eliminate negotiation power over that choice.  The leverage
over the registry administrator is vastly reduced.

You are making a point of ignoring this very real and very much
demonstrated concern.

Rather than enjoying the invention of hypothetical scenarios, please attend
to the practical aspects of making the scenarios successful.

d/