[ncdnhc-discuss] Latest draft NC doc on reform

James Love james.love at cptech.org
Thu Apr 25 21:42:34 CEST 2002

Harold, regarding the difficulty in getting NCC consensus on reforms on
short notice without f2f:

1.  Probably more realistic to have members submit comments under their own
names......
2.  I would not expect to see the ICANN board embrace any of the proposals
that radically reduce ICANN's power.   The board trend seems to be in the
opposite direction, despite the widespread public support for a leaner and
weaker ICANN.
3.  The purpose of submitting comments to the offical ICANN process is
partly to influence ICANN, and partly to provide something for DOC or the
GAC to review, in determing whether or not to extend ICANN's power over the
root.

It is ironic.  ICANN was created to protect the Internet from governments.
Then ICANN's CEO said they had to turn to governments to protect ICANN from
the Internet community (the elections).   Now activist are turning to
governments to protect the Internet from ICANN.

   Jamie