[ncdnhc-discuss] Latest draft NC doc on reform

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Thu Apr 25 21:39:12 CEST 2002

This is why I have consistently argued for giving Adcom more
latitude. We elected the people to serve on Adcom, and the
realities of the situation require that they act quickly and
decisively, otherwise they are ignored.
--MM

>>> "Harold J. Feld" <hfeld at mediaaccess.org> 04/25/02 03:39PM >>>
As you can see none of the suggested wording I posted was adopted,
although the independent review idea seems to have been included as a
suggestion.

Part of the problem is that we do not have a consensus out of the NCC,
whereas other constituencies do.  Of course, we also do not have the
capability to generate consensus quickly via face2face meetings and
conference calls, as other constituencies have.  Arguably, adcomcould
take a greater role, but there has been resistance in the consticuency
from Adcom acting unilaterally on a mere sense from the discussion
group.  While more democratic, it does prove less efficient where
consultation and reolution are necessary on a weekly basis.

again, I would urge the constituency to create a process NOW so that we
can reach official consensus on a few points to submit.  I would argue
critical points on which we might consider a constituency position are:

1) Role of governments and or the ITU.

2) Representation

3) Transparency

4) Accountability (the one aspect entirely lacking in any governing
document I have seen.  Much talk of transparency, but nothing about
accountability mechanisms).

As for changes proposed by other constituencies: the big push from the
registry & registrar consticuencies is to include language that policy
should be formulated by those "primarily affected."  Both constituencies
have expressed concern that other constituencies (notably the ccTLD
consticuency) have refused to adopt policies while insisting on playing
a role (often a delaying role) in development.  BC and NCC have resisted
this, since at least I see this as an exclusionary mechanism in which we
could be excluded, or forced into a non-leadership role, in any
significant policy dispute.

Harold Feld