[ncdnhc-discuss] One suggestion for .ORG TF participant!

James Love james.love at cptech.org
Thu Apr 25 20:50:15 CEST 2002

I personally have no problem with ICANN staff doing a due diligence of
technical qualifications of the second stage bidder.   I assume the ICANN
staff has good technical people that would help the non-profit stay out of
trouble here, assuming they don't go overboard.

What is going on now with the one stage process is that the existing
registrar/registry operators are teaming up with non-profits, who have very
little bargaining power, pre-bid.  Verisign is even reportedly perparing a
bidding team....which seems absurd that they would divest to themselves.
Nuestar is involved.  Lots of others too.  This seems crazy to me.   If the
non-profit gets the registry on the first round, they will have about 1,000
times more leverage to negotiate (or bid) a good contact with an operator
after they are choosen than before they are choosen.

   Jamie