[ncdnhc-discuss] Announcement of TF Participants!

YJ Park yjpark at myepark.com
Fri Apr 19 04:25:23 CEST 2002

To avoid further confusion.

> 3, It was (and is) a great list, however, so, I actually included all
> of the suggestions in the Task Force. That included Vany and YJ.
> Neither has informed me of their resignation from the Task Force. In
> fact, at the end of the Accra meeting, YJ reiterated to me her desire
> to continue as a member. Thus, I have no reason to add any more
> members at this time. I have no knowledge that either one is
> "inactive".

In Accra, it was explained that NCDNHC is to notify new TLD
evaluation TF members to Stuart as Chair of TF with my further
expression of willingnes to withdraw from this TF as soon as
such process is done. It was in response to the concerns so-called
conflicts of interests raised by one of Board members not because
I think he was right but because I think it would be waste of time.

Indeed, I expressed my willingness to withdraw from the TF with
due course in Accra as soon as NCDNHC finishes its process.
Unexpectedly, upon notification, Stuart asked me to leave the TF
meeting, which I resisted for around 15-20 mins claiming it is my
right to be there as TF members who was supposed to represent
NCDNHC.

Stuart confirmed I was not supposed to represent NCDNHC and
and TF members are appointees who were appointed by chair of
TF, Stuart. Therefore, TF members should not be representatives.
The other TF members in the meeting also reconfirmed Stuart's
explanation asking to follow Stuart's request to leave the meeting
since I do have conflicts of interests which I could not accept as
such.

What was the conflicts of interests at that meeting?

Stuart confidently told that ICANN's legal counsel advised that
even expressing interests verbally in the former-ICANN period TLDs'
divestiture without any RFP therefore no application proposal is
serious conflicts of interests which can make him ask a TF member
not to attend the meeting.

On the other hand, as far as I know, even if TF members do have
potential or even serious conflicts of interests, they can be asked
not to vote or make comments but not to attend the whole meeting.

I had to leave the meeting.

After Accra, I notified Stuart that his concern in conflicts of interests
of me could be cleared up when such planned project was given up.
However, I am not still sure whether such Stuart's version of conflicts
of interests are cleared up with me, though.

I am still interested in .ORG divestiture which I believe should be
managed by a non-commercial registry and I am working on this
with other NGO folks.

Therefore, according to Staurt's clarification and interpretation, I do
still have such conflicts of interests which I am not sure whether I can
be TF members. I guess I cannot be.

So, it would be more productive to figure out whether TF members
are representatives or appointees. If they are representatives,
we do have rights to send them to the TF. If they are appointees
which were confirmed and reconfirmed by both Stuart, chair of the TF,
and the other TF members, I don't think we have many choices.

YJ