[ncdnhc-discuss] Announcement of TF Participants!

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Thu Apr 18 21:31:48 CEST 2002

Thanks for the explanation. Our Adcom (and I) was under the impression
that YJ wanted off and that Vany was not able to participate.
I will contact both of them to find out whether that impression
is incorrect. If it is true that they want to be replaced, will
you consider it?

>>> "M. Stuart Lynn" <lynn at icann.org> 04/18/02 02:42PM >>>
Nice to hear from you, Milton.

Here's the scoop:

1. This is not an NC task force that is composed of representatives
of individual constituencies or is indeed required to have all
constituencies represented. This is a President's Task Force and I
invite individuals to participate as I believe. The Board resolution
that led me to establish this Task Force stated, in part and in
response to my recommendation:

"Whereas, the President has recommended to the Board the formation of
a New TLD Evaluation Process Planning Task Force chaired by the
President and consisting of members selected with the advice of the
Names and Protocol Councils and the Chairs of the IETF, IAB, and
ICANN DNS Root Server System Advisory Committee"

2. I did indeed consult with the NC (and the other named bodies) and
received a list of suggested individuals from which I was free to
pick or choose -- or indeed reject all of them. There was no
requirement that the NC, for example, include someone from every
constituency although in fact the list submitted by Phil did indeed
include someone (actually two people) from every constituency except
for the gTLD Registries (who could not participate for reasons of
potential conflict of interest) and the Registrars.  These were not
representatives or delegates, but simply a suggested list of names in
response to my request.

3, It was (and is) a great list, however, so, I actually included all
of the suggestions in the Task Force. That included Vany and YJ.
Neither has informed me of their resignation from the Task Force. In
fact, at the end of the Accra meeting, YJ reiterated to me her desire
to continue as a member. Thus, I have no reason to add any more
members at this time. I have no knowledge that either one is
"inactive".

4. In general, if I do determine that certain members of the Task
Force are no longer participating and that their lack of
participation will have a significant effect on the work of the Task
Force, then I would consider the option of replacing them with other
individuals. So far, that has not proven to be the case. Should that
happen, I expect to consider each situation on its own merits.

Now I understand that you and some of your colleagues on the NCDNHC
may wish that this were a different kind of Task Force composed of
representatives. But it is not.

But thank you as always for your thoughts.

Stuart

--

Stuart Lynn
Email: lynn at icann.org