[ncdnhc-discuss] ICANN articles of incorporation

Jefsey Morfin jefsey at wanadoo.fr
Tue Apr 16 11:30:48 CEST 2002

Hugh,
Please read the precedeing sentence. The BoD Members are qualified
separetely as a different college. The ICANN is for the time being a "no
member" corporation. An legal outdated oddity (named "dead hand" ownership)
that was the status of the Middle-Age Abbeys - to protect the monks and the
people from the fancy of one Bishop. In a way it is the legal status of the
Catholic Church. In French law it has been abrograted by the Revolution,
which considered such organizations as "mafia gangs".

The article is clear: you can modify the articles by a vote of 2/3 of the
BoD Members as long as there is no Member. When there is Members they vote.
Question to the American lawyers: does the wording implies that when there
are Members the vote of the BoD is no more necessary? In that case we could
have a "sunrise" test bed period with a few selected Members (for example a
very few governments and or Agencies) who might easily change the nature of
the ICANN.
jfc