[ncdnhc-discuss] Questions about ".edu"

James Love james.love at cptech.org
Mon Apr 8 23:44:15 CEST 2002

http://www.educause.edu/edudomain/policy.asp

On October 29, 2001, the U.S. Department of Commerce awarded a five-year
cooperative agreement to EDUCAUSE for managing the .edu top-level domain.
Policies for managing the domain were set forward in that agreement,
including policies governing what institutions are eligible for names in the
.edu domain. In particular:

a.. All institutions already holding names in the .edu domain will be
allowed to keep them.

b.. Institutions that do not already hold a name in the .edu domain are
eligible to receive one if they are degree-granting institutions of higher
education accredited by one of the six U.S. regional accrediting bodies.
Duly accredited community colleges and other two-year-degree institutions
are thus eligible for the first time.

c.. Only a single name in the .edu domain will be assigned to any given
institution.

Policies affecting the .edu domain can be changed by mutual agreement of
EDUCAUSE and the Department of Commerce. EDUCAUSE will provide a Policy
Forum for requesting and discussing policy changes. A Policy Board will
review these discussions and recommend needed changes to the Department of
Commerce.

More details on many of these policies and procedures can be found in the
FAQ.

April 6, 2001
Notice of a Cooperative Agreement with EDUCAUSE.
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/frnotices/edunoi41101.htm

http://www.educause.edu/edudomain/