[ncdnhc-discuss] Board Positions on .ORG; Answers from V.Cerf--full text

Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law froomkin at law.miami.edu
Mon Apr 1 23:20:31 CEST 2002

Once again, with feeling:

You cannot "instruct" UDRP panelists on how to apply the law to your
taste. If you do so, you buy into the idea that the UDRP is free-standing
system of rules divorced from national law.  Within a year, WIPO will be
"instructing" panelists too.  They will do it full time.

The standards for what constitutes infringement are set by national law.

The UDRP instructs panelists to mirror a subset of national law, when they
are told that "you are making a legitimate noncommercial or fair use of
the domain name" is a full defense.  What constitutes "legitimate" is set
by national law.

You can of course "educate" panelists by explaining to them what a
non-commercial use is, how being in .org might itself be one example of
that use, and so on.

But start down the slippery slope of letting ICANN tell panelists what
substantive rules to use, and in no time at all you will have the first
WIPO report.   Please read it, then read my critique, and you will realize
that for all of the UDRP's flaws it could have been a lot worse.  And will
be if we follow down the road you propose.

WIPO's interim report for first process
http://wipo2.wipo.int/process1/rfc/3/index.html

My comments then
http://www.law.miami.edu/~amf/critique.pdf