[ncdnhc-discuss] Board Positions on .ORG; Answers from V.Cerf--full text

James Love james.love at cptech.org
Mon Apr 1 22:52:42 CEST 2002

Karl, thanks for note regarding the proposal for clarification of UDRP rules
on "confusion," and the non-commerical use of a string in the SLD .org
space.

I am *not* suggesting ICANN or the registry investigate the way .org domains
are used, or make any complicated legal requirements for use of a .org
domain.  I *am* suggesting that someone who uses the .org domain for
non-commerical purposes (*loosely* defined) be protected from having the
domain taken away by a commerical trademark owner in the UDRP, on the
grounds that the domain is confusingly similiar to a commerical trademark.

The distinction is important.  The enforcement mechanims for the UDRP
already exists.   Every .org domain holders is bound by contract to use the
UDRP.  When the UDRP is triggered, by someone asserting confusion with a
*commerical* trademark, the UDRP panel should be instructured that
non-commerical use of a domain is not confusing.

This is a very minor but useful instruction to provide the UDRP panels.  The
commerical trademark owners would benefit by this, in the following way.  If
there was a commercial use of the .org that was confusing with their
commerical trademark, they could pursue remedies under the UDRP.  But if it
was simply a non-profit (formally *or* informally organized, formerly tax
exempt *or* not) organization using the same string, they would not be
expected to buy the domain or pay for a UDRP proceeding.  This would save
the commerical trademark owner money.    It would result also, I believe, in
giving the .org TLD the type of meaning that most .org domain holders want
it to have, in a non-coercive and non-bureaucratic way.   Jamie

<----examples of .org domains that are similar to strings used for
commerical purposes-------->

CPTech.Org  Consumer Project on Technology
CPTech.Net  - Cathodic Protection Technology, Pte Lid,
CPTech.Com  -  Corporate Technologies, Inc.

http://www.att.com   AT&T
http://WWW.ATT.ORG  / Associated Talmud Torahs

http://www.mediaaccess.com/   Medica Access Internet Solutions
http://www.mediaaccess.org   The Media Access Project