[ncdnhc-discuss] Committee on ICANN Evolution and Reform SeeksPublicSubmissions

Dany Vandromme vandrome at renater.fr
Mon Apr 1 09:49:28 CEST 2002

"Alejandro Pisanty - DGSCA y FQ, UNAM" wrote:

> Hi Milton, and all,
>
> 1. the committee on evolution and reform is a committee formed by the
> Board to prepare input for the reform process, with as much and as good
> input as possible from the community. It is no more "Alejandro's
> committee" than the NCDNHC is "Milton's constituency".
-
I support Alejandro's remark
-

> 2. the ways to put "political pressure from the outside" on ICANN all seem
> to involve the executive or the legislative (now also the judiciary)
> powers of the government of a single country. I detect a contradiction
> with the principle of internationalization, and with the supposed aversion
> to the intervention of governments, to which many have reacted after
> reading Prof. Lynn's proposal.
-
Just as a partial remark, the intervention of governements will at least
have the benefit to balance the US-Centric approach of most of the
loudly-voiced stakeholders, independently of their commercial or
non-commercial sensitivity. It doesn't mean that government is the right
track, but is certainly an efficient way to increase the international concerns.
-

> 3. so I would repeat a call to work for a reform that shapes ICANN in such
> a way that it can really aspire to obtain control of the root, before the
> governments really take the matter in their hands, and before the reform
> becomes an all-business proposition (many of you have already seen the
> proposal for a trade-association-only).
>
> Yours,
>
> Alejandro Pisanty
>
> .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .
>      Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
> Director General de Servicios de Computo Academico
> UNAM, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico
> Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico
> Tel. (+52-55) 5622-8541, 5622-8542 Fax 5550-8405
> http://www.dgsca.unam.mx
> ---->> Unete a ISOC Mexico, www.isoc.org
> =====>>> Participa en ICANN, www.icann.org
Dany VANDROMME                    |  Directeur du GIP RENATER

                Reseau National de Telecommunications
         pour la Technologie, l'Enseignement et la Recherche

                                  |  ENSAM
Tel   :  +33 (0)1 53 94 20 30     |  151 Boulevard de l'Hopital
Fax   :  +33 (0)1 53 94 20 31     |  75013 Paris
E-mail: Dany.Vandromme at renater.fr |  FRANCE