[ncdnhc-discuss] No new LA agenda

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Sun Sep 30 18:30:13 CEST 2001

At 10:38 PM 9/29/2001, Vany Martinez wrote:
> > There is no evidence whatsoever of an imminent threat to DNS.
>And?  Terrorist actions in USA has opened the eyes to
>ICANN that it is also wise to think in Security issues

Correct.  If the only effort to consider security issues is to respond to
known, imminent threats, then security work will always fail.

The nature of serious security planning to is to anticipate all threats
that seems likely or reasonable.  Ultimately, security experts note that it
is never possible to provide perfect security.  The goal is to anticipate
likely threats and design a set of prevention mechanisms that balance cost,
versus benefit, versus likelihood.

> > The particular terrorists we are dealing with are not interested in
> disrupting web sites and email.
>This is outside the scope or ICANN...This is not the

I am extremely impressed that Milton is so certain about the goals of the
terrorists.

The recent actions show a desire to attack icons of "western" commerce and
power.  Infrastructure services for the Internet would seem an entirely
plausible outlet for such intentions.  (As others have noted, the only real
pressure against their attacking the Internet is their own demonstrated use
of it.)

> > They want to kill people, large numbers of them. I have not
> > yet heard of a way one can become a martyr by hacking.
>You see? Still insisting.   Milton...this is not about Hacking or Cracking
>a server.

Continuing to give in to the tendency to believe that any of us really
understands the terrorists' goals and styles, I'll note that killing people
well might not be a requirement.

In terms of social damage it is worth noting that the effect of the attack
on the World Trade Center was probably far more serious for the physical
disruption of major businesses than for the total number of people
killed.  Yes, killing people carries the drama they seem to want, but it is
not the only way to achieve that notariety.

Perhaps the most important point to consider is that these terrorists have
shown astonishing and appalling creativity.  We all need to be very, very
careful about the assumptions we make, when trying to predict their behavior.

d/