[ncdnhc-discuss] No new LA agenda

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Fri Sep 28 21:25:11 CEST 2001

Dany:
Did the ICANN staff consult with anyone before attempting to
redefine the ENTIRE agenda of all supporting organizations and
constituencies?

>>> Dany Vandromme <vandrome at renater.fr> 09/28/01 01:52AM >>>
Milton,
I would appreciate that you consult the constituency and the adcom,
BEFORE stating any of your personal view/reaction near the Names
Council, on behalf of the constituency. I understand well that you do
not feel concerned by robustness or stability, but make it clear to
everyone that it is your point of view, and not more so far.
Dany

Milton Mueller wrote:

> NCC members:
> I have already sent a message to the Names Council challenging and
> opposing this proposed change of focus. ICANN has some extremely
> important ongoing policy issues to resolve. ICANN still has major
> unfinished business regarding its basic structure. Months of preparation
> have been put into preparing UDRP review and the ALSC. The ORG
> divestiture is a contractual REQUIREMENT that must be executed by the
> end of next year. All of these issues, and others, MUST be handled at the
> November Annual Meeting if DNSO and ICANN are to function as policy
> making bodies.
>
> The NCDNHC agenda will not be altered in any way by this unilateral
> announcement of the ICANN staff, nor, I am confident, will the
> activities of other constituiencies or the Names Council.
>
> ICANN itself has very little to do with the "robustness" or "security"
> of Internet infrastructure. Secure protocols are developed by the
> IETF and adopted by industry. The physical security required to
> protect infrastructure from violent attack is the responsibility of
> law enforcement and private sector operators. Certainly some
> discussion of the topic would be appropriate. But this attempt to
> completely shove aside all ongoing work and completely redefine
> the agenda must be greeted with suspicion.
>
> If nothing else, our constituency must not allow its own agenda
> to be set by unilateral commands emanating from an self-appointed
> staff and an incomplete, unrepresentative Board.

> [QUOTE] The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)
> is turning its focus sharply toward Internet security and stability. Its
> annual meeting in November has been reshaped to look at these issues,
> possibly bumping other items off the agenda, ICANN President Stuart Lynn
> said in a Wednesday statement. "The events of September 11 have caused
> institutions worldwide to rethink their plans and priorities," Lynn said
> of the terrorist attacks in the United States. "As an international
> institution, ICANN is not immune. In light of these new circumstances,
> it would be irresponsible for ICANN not to conduct an in-depth
> assessment of the robustness and security of the Internet's naming and
> addressing systems." Lynn called for public input on how the issue
> should be addressed at the meeting, such as potential threats, ways to
> improve readiness and potential policy changes. [END OF QUOTE]
> in National Journal's Tech Daily pm edition--William New
>
> On ICANN's page:
> http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-26sep01.htm

Dany VANDROMME                    |  Directeur du GIP RENATER

                Reseau National de Telecommunications
         pour la Technologie, l'Enseignement et la Recherche

                                  |  ENSAM
Tel   :  +33 (0)1 53 94 20 30     |  151 Boulevard de l'Hopital
Fax   :  +33 (0)1 53 94 20 31     |  75013 Paris
E-mail: Dany.Vandromme at renater.fr |  FRANCE