[ncdnhc-discuss] Names council candidates

Joop Teernstra terastra at terabytz.co.nz
Tue Sep 11 06:56:13 CEST 2001

Alejandro,

>An individual domain name holders constituency has not been able to
>organize adequately. It is a pity and a part we miss,

If this is truly meant, that's a step forward.
Were you among those who raised their hands in Berlin on the principle of
the constituency?

>  but the truth is it
>hasn't been able to get its act together.

The truth is that it is possible to build and agree on structures and that
this work has been completed (the Charter is in place and it is workable),
but not possible to keep good and busy Individuals interested when the
mailing lists are filled with co-ordinated personal attacks and when it
takes the  ICANN Board 3 years to reach the point of recognition that we
now see in the ALSC report.

The attempts to take over the IDNO or to destroy it, serve to prove how
significant the concept is in the first place.

The CA/IDNO will apply for membership in the NCDNHC. Its members have voted
to do so.
Domain Registrants, Commercial (small businesses that are not at the same
time providers), non-commercial and Individual share the same interests:
the security and solidity of the legal rights to the Domain Name.

It is important that all three "constituencies" work together with the
registration Industry "constituencies" to come to an equitable environment.
(expiration and transfer policies, the limitations of extra-legal
IP-claims, etc)

We three sit on one side of the balance, the registries and registrars on
the other site.

If the ccTLD's are taken out of the DNSO equation, they need to achieve
their own internal balance between registrars and registrants.

I think this is what Eung Hwi means with "balance".  Any
ICANN  supply/demand regulatory body needs to be balanced in order to come
up with equitable rules.

With regards to the IP "constituency", I do not think they belong in the
DNSO at all. They should have been given the status of an mini Advisory
Committee.

Joop Teernstra LL.M.
Councillor
InternetNZ