[ncdnhc-discuss] Names council candidates

Dany Vandromme vandrome at renater.fr
Mon Sep 10 18:27:43 CEST 2001

Chun Eung Hwi wrote:

> Dear Alejandro,
>
> I think NCDNHC in a little bit different way from yours.
> NCDNHC is not simply non-commercial constituency - why we don't have
> commercial domain name holder's constituency? - It is also domain name
> holders - domain consumers or users in general. We should take into
> account these two aspects together.
-
Certainly not
NCDNHC has several time shown a position favorable to the existence of
an Individual Domain name holder organization. It was never considered
nor approved to include IDNH within NCDNHC.
There is no reason to consider equally, an individual (who could be
commercially motivated enventually), with a university, a research
organisation or a NGO. Voices are different, objectives are different,
means are different....
-

> And consumers are in a relatively disadvantageous place in market compared
> with providers because providers are usually bigger and stronger in
> finance as well as information than individual consumers.
-
Once more, discussion is biaised by the restriction of Internet to
consumer/provider relationship. Do you consider a registrar as a
consumer provider or a registry customer. For me they are both.
-
> Therefore,
> users, consumers should be supported by public policy like consumer
> protection. This is the fundamental motivation for non-commercial
> organizations to organize themselves for making a balanced policy.
-
NCDNHC is not the At Large of individuals. But consumer organisations
are welcome to participate to NCDNHC, provided they are non-commercial
and they are real organisations.
-
> Therefore, NCDNHC could become a good supporter of at large directors.
-
The consensus about the overall problem has not been achieved yet, but I
am sure that the ALSC proposal will activate it significantly.

> Whatever the founding premises are - although I think it differently from
> yours, too, it is very obvious that NCDNHC, as organizations, could
> be in solidarity with at large members.
-
NCDNHC could effectively support IDNH process, but in forgetting its own
"raison d'ĂȘtre", which is not to replace the IDNH or the At Large. These
are completely different issues.

Dany
-

> Regards,
>
> Chun Eung Hwi
> Chun Eung Hwi
> General Secretary, PeaceNet | phone:     (+82) 2- 583-3033
> Seoul Yangchun P.O.Box 81   |   pcs:     (+82) 019-259-2667
> Seoul, 158-600, Korea       | eMail:   ehchun at peacenet.or.kr

Dany VANDROMME                    |  Directeur du GIP RENATER

                Reseau National de Telecommunications
         pour la Technologie, l'Enseignement et la Recherche

                                  |  ENSAM
Tel   :  +33 (0)1 53 94 20 30     |  151 Boulevard de l'Hopital
Fax   :  +33 (0)1 53 94 20 31     |  75013 Paris
E-mail: Dany.Vandromme at renater.fr |  FRANCE