[ncdnhc-discuss] Names council candidates

Jefsey Morfin jefsey at wanadoo.fr
Mon Sep 10 18:06:08 CEST 2001

Dear Michael, Chun, Alejandro, Danny
I will pick a few of your comments to try to match them with the global
vision of the world at wide foundation making it support several initiatives.

 > Michael
 > My own personal view is that the constituency model has failed, like so
 > many corporatist experiments before it. But if we persist on it, it's
 > unwise to think all people are alike and belong in one group. We should
 > recognize and celebrate the functional diversity of interests of
 > individuals as we do corporations.

I agree with you 100% with one limitation: the constituency model which
failed is the ICANN model.   The Internet is *our* consensus to
interconnect *our* machines and this consensus of *ours" is managed by
*our* governance. The problem we face is that Internet - consensus -
governance are new social concepts tied together from a new social model. I
name that model "me/we" as a permanent dialog between individuals and their
communities. You may observe that this model is everywhere now in our
society (Internet is both a its successful mirror and one of its best agent).

We want to confront XIXth inherited concepts (corporations, dialog,
top-town/bottom-up, democracy elections, votes, representation) to today
our language (organizations, polylog, relations, community correct,
selection, polls, competence, etc....).

XIIIth century governance is more adequate that Joe Sims mid XXth century
rigidness. I am surprised that on this universitarian list the
socio/network analysis and theory did not go yet very far. May be of
interest to establish a reasearch group as our panel is probably quite
diversified?

On 07:22 10/09/01, Dany Vandromme said:
>Last point: Do not forget that the ultimate task of the directors, is to
>be responsible of the Company. This is completely different from, for
>instance, representing a constituency in the DNSO!
>So we cannot require from the directors (in terms of accountability) to
>behave like representatives. It a different game.

Absolutely true. Directors are not elected. They are selected. This issue
is not to know how many represent who or what, but to be sure the origins
of selected people will be diverse enough to build propositions which might
look like or be consensuses. This is why consensus by Staff saturation is
extremely damageable. Every effort carried to set-up a good system is
spoilt by the Staff authority creep.

 > Chun Eung Hwi
 > When we use the term of at large members, it has the same dimension of the
 > meaning. Here, the term of individual is different from people or human
 > beings in general. In this context, individuals are defined as consumers
 > or customers against providers. It simply means role or status in social
 > relations. Hence, even though somebody could work in American Online,
 > he/she could become an at large member as one individual user, as one
 > internet user, as one consumer, as one customer, but not as an American
 > Online worker. And at large director is the representative of those
 > users, not people who are working in their work place.

@large are no consumers. We start to work on that in France and in a few
other countries (point.conso/dot.consumer) project. Out ultimate target is
a Consummation Consultative Council.  Consumers are related to ISPs,
Registrars, etc... and local laws, not to the ICANN but they may advise the
ICANN.

@large are only those of us who want to participate into the Internet
governance. They may also want to organize together and develop a
constituency. We see that with the emergence of the IALNA, people wants to
be involved in action by dedicated interest groups. This is why the IALNA
project is quite parallel to the SME Constituency and Registrant
Constituency development projects.

 > Alejandro
 > An individual domain name holders constituency has not been able to
 > organize adequately. It is a pity and a part we miss, but the truth is it
 > hasn't been able to get its act together. That's something the NCDNHC has
 > said it's favorable to but also not intervened (I do not think we
 > should.)

As having been quite involved with the IDNO, IDNH and now IDNHC and
Registrant projects I think the main reason why is because the effort has
only been carried by activists like Joop and als. The IDNHC or Registrant
(Individual/Bulk) Constituency real structure should be based on
specialized and national associations. As well as on the individual
momentum. This is what we are trying to achieve now to better support Joop
and his long lasting effort.

The problem is however the relation with the NCDNHC. A constituency of
Registrant Associations is first a constituency of non-commercial
organizations. The same for the IALNA as a network of local @large
associations.

Your comments here would be welcome. I will centainly copy them to the
bootstraps and the various IDNH/O concerned projects involved.

 > Alejandro
 > Superposing agendas such as "consumer defense" and "solidarity with at
 > large" has lead to great ineffectiveness, and had a great cost of
 > opportunity at not attending to domain-name issues.

Absolutely. This is something we learned for years in France with the
Minitel and what prevented us (Tymnet) to deploy the Minitel in the USA in
the early 80s. Large social network are interactive. Users are also content
providers and providers are very often he "grown-up" users or user
associations - to take off there is a need of user density France had but
we could not pay for in the USA.  We have to understand that @large are
producers by nature: they are acknowledged because they produce a position
(vote).

Consumers are the same but when delaing with nopn ICANN mantters as ISP
rates, Telcos lines, legal rules, taxes, restrictions of access,
registrarts faults, search engine response, family protection, e-commerce
rules...

They are concerned by their society vs Internet. Not by the Internet society.

 > Alejandro
 > A question that has been repeatedly asked and not answered is: what is the
 > agenda of the NCDNHC and its member organizations? What, Eung Hwi, is it
 > for PeaceNet Korea?

Very good question. May be as a denied Member I can tell what I expect from
the NCDNHC for the FRAX (non-profit association providing Internet
education, consulting and assistance to catholic Internet projects, denied
membership due to the ad hominem argument that my professional practice is
a Member of the BC).

1. that domain names definition clarifies as the name of the Internet name
of the registrant domain and therefore is life long, linked to the domain,
protected and subject to current laws.

2. that domain names registration and management becomes protected. And a
title be delivered. The effort of an non-profit small structure cannot
survive a DN loss or challenge. Nor in most of the cases the simple cost
and the time requested by an UDRP. We set-up Internet projects for a
purpose, not to make US lawyers work.

3. that experience in the problems met by others organizations may serve as
a market analysis or a catalysis for those planning to develop and bring
solutions. Training, education, legal and tax propositions in different
countries.

5. that a Network Association status be studied and put into legal terms so
we may incorporate under that status. Problems are the management of an
unique project by independent national or specialized associations subject
to their national laws.

6.the analysis of the e-human rights and a consistent proposition which
might serve to fund human electronic environment consistent legislations,
as there is the family, the natural environment ...

7. that it may be a constant reminder concerning the impact of the ICANN
decision about the lingual, digital and financial divides and to foster
common actions in these areas.

8. That a representative common body may be consulted to tell my possible
specific concerns and and be a co-decisioneer altogther with large
buinssess, SME, registrants, ISPs, Registrars, Registries, developpers

My 2 cents.

Jefsey