[ncdnhc-discuss] Names council candidates

Chun Eung Hwi ehchun at peacenet.or.kr
Mon Sep 10 03:16:20 CEST 2001

Dear Dany,

On Sun, 9 Sep 2001, Dany Vandromme wrote:

> Chun Eung Hwi wrote:
> > On Sat, 8 Sep 2001, Dany Vandromme wrote:
> >
> > > 1) Accountability would be certainly better achieved if there is some
> > > natural link or channel between the elected AL board members and the
> > > voting base. This is aimed in the ALSC proposal. It is certainly not
> > > achieved today with the current process, in which the at-large role is
> > > only to vote once a while. There is no point to fight for 9 Al directors
> > > if there is no mechanism for accountability.
> >
> > You are right except that at least less than half of at large board
> > members would certainly make ICANN less accountable.
> -
> I do not agree. All SO elected directors are really elected and
> accountable. I do not feel that it is the case today for the at-large
> elected ones, since the atlarge is completely undefined and unorganized.
> My point is not to argue about figures (6 or 9 for instance), but to be
> sure about the real accountability. To me, the ALSC goes in the right
> direction and answer all 5 questions which he had to answer.

I cannot see what you disagree.
Do you agree or not that less than half of at large board members would
make ICANN less accountable even when there is some natural link or
channel between elected at large board members and the voting base as you
argued? Is what you mean that the number of board members has noting to do
with accountability even when at large board members have clear and
obvious their voting base? Then, do you think any number of at large board
members could make ICANN accountable? So, you think even four or six at
large directors could make ICANN accountable? Is the debate regarding at
large board members´seats completely meaningless? If your answer is yes, I
can never agree to your idea.

> > > 2) From others' contibution, there is a big confusion between the
> > > NCDNHC, which is made (supposely) from non-commercial ORGANISATIONS, and
> > > the At-Large which is made from individuals. If NCDNHC starts to behaves
> > > like an At-Large, that would mean that the constituency is voiced only
> > > by individuals rather than organizations.
> >
> > Your statement is not clear, but NCDNHC has much more common base with at
> > large members than any other constituency could do because they are
> > non-commercial and users or customer rather than provider or supplier.
> -
> I agree the NCDNHC may have more common interest with the atlarge, but
> they still should be distinct. NCDNHC is made, in principle from
> organisations. At Large is made from individuals. It would be naive to
> think that individuals and non commercial are identical.

Are you assuming that individuals could be commercial?
Do you have the concept of commercial individual? So, you are thinking
that it is naive to think that individuals and non commercial are
identical? This is very weird idea. At large members are simply individual
users who are regarded as consumer or customer. I have never heard such
words as commercial consumer or commercial customer.

> > Your argument that NCDNHC is different from At-Large Members is generally
> > acceptable, but it is definitely wrong that NCDNHC should be different
> > from At-Large Members. Don't be confused!
> -
> See remark above. I certainly do not agree with this last statement.
> There is to much opposition between commercial vs non commercial in all
> ICANN debates. This is biaising the whole discussion in everything. I am
> afraid that it is also going to biais the current DNSO director election.

If it is called as bias(?), it is indispendable bias.
Why are you afraid of that? As one consumer, I am not afraid of arguing
my rights against commercial bias.

Chun Eung Hwi
Chun Eung Hwi
General Secretary, PeaceNet | phone:     (+82) 2- 583-3033
Seoul Yangchun P.O.Box 81   |   pcs:     (+82) 019-259-2667
Seoul, 158-600, Korea       | eMail:   ehchun at peacenet.or.kr