[ncdnhc-discuss] ICANN Board vote on reservation of country names

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sat Sep 22 23:36:46 CEST 2001

The GAC recommended in Montevideo that "the use of
names of countries and distinct economies as
recognised in international fora as second level
domains in the .info TLD should be at the discretion
of the respective governments and public authorities."

(http://www.icann.org/committees/gac/communique-09sep01.htm).

I am pleased to see that Alejandro Pisanty voted
against this, if I am not mistaken.

I believe that mechanical reservations of names are a
dangerous policy that is restrictive of free expression
and creates an undesirable linkage between technical
architecture and policy. I also believe that such an
important policy affecting rights to names should
not be adopted based on a GAC recommendation alone,
but should go through the DNSO.