[ncdnhc-discuss] Please vote for the membership resolution

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Mon Sep 3 22:19:41 CEST 2001

I urge all members of the NCDNHC to support the resolution
on membership. We really need to pass this in order to
put the constituency on a sound organizational footing.

The resolution passed 26 - 3 in Stockholm. There
was significant discussion before and at Stockholm. Most of our
organizational members are willing and able to pay dues.
Those that are not can apply for an exception.

There are strong reasons we should want to do this
on our own. For example, we need to have some way
to renew membership so we can distinguish between "real"
members and organizations that joined two years ago
and are no longer interested and active. We need
member organizations to make some kind of commitment
to the constituency.

Many of our organizational members cannot provide
money to the constituency unless they are provided
with an invoice showing that membership dues are
required.

There are also external reasons. We will not be taken
seriously by the rest of the DNSO if we do not make a
good faith effort to contribute what we can to the DNSO.
We will lose our votes on the Names Council eventually.
That would eliminate our ability to participate in ICANN
DNSO Board selections, and to participate in DNSO policy
formulations.

MM