[ncdnhc-discuss] Resolution on GAC

Alejandro Pisanty - CUAED y FQ, UNAM apisan at servidor.unam.mx
Sat Oct 27 05:05:24 CEST 2001

Hi!

in proposing the "resolution on GAC", which really is a "resolution about
action prompted by a GAC resolution", it seems there are two possible
tracks:

1. denounce everything and close all discussions.

2. read ICANN's President's proposed plan of action carefully, discuss it,
and observe that it in turn recognizes the complex nature of the problem
and the diversity of points of view about the use of country and other
geographically related names, and that it calls for an open discussion of
the issue.

In particular it emphatically calls to "Encourage the Domain
Name Supporting Organization to evaluate possible approaches
for longer-term arrangements concerning use of geographic names
within the DNS".

Someone boasting international sensitivity would have realized long ago
that even if some think the GAC proposal is wrong, it comes from the
international community (moreover, from a number of developing countries).

So - the rational, sane way to approach the matter may be to start a
discussion on the use of geographic names in the DNS. To conserve an ample
decision space, to further understanding of the complexities pointed,
among others, by Kathy, etc., I'd wish the motion to consider the
"resolution on GAC" be withdrawn (just a wish), and, whether that happens
or not, let's
hear the opinions of the experts, and of interested parties, as would
academic organizations interested in fairness and rationality.

Do note that I voted against the GAC proposal, uphold my opinion, stand by
the majority
result of the Board vote, and think that opening a new stage of discussion
will still be productive even after many, many rounds of it.

Alejandro Pisanty
     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
UNAM  -  Educacion Abierta y a Distancia
Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico
Tel. (+52-5) 622-8713, 622-8633 Fax 550-8405

http://www.cuaed.unam.mx
---->> Unete a ISOC Mexico, www.isocmex.org.mx, www.isoc.org
=====>>> Participa en ICANN, www.icann.org
---->> Internet y Sociedad? www.istf.org