[ncdnhc-discuss] Resolution on GAC

KathrynKL at aol.com KathrynKL at aol.com
Sat Oct 27 05:21:14 CEST 2001

The recently proposed "Resolution on GAC" (attached below) raises some
extremely important issues.  I am tremendously troubled by the proposals to
reserve country names.  While I can understand -- and have heard the deep
concerns expressed directly by ambassadors -- country names are not
intellectual property.  Further, some country names are generic words for
other types of goods -- like Turkey.

Finally, the bypassing of the Names Council on a matter of domain name policy
is unprecedented.  One arm of ICANN (the GAC) must surely talk with other
arms of ICANN (the Names Council, GA and DNSO) before matters of this
magnitude and nature are passed on to the ICANN Board.

I support the NCC Resolution on GAC.

Warm regards, Kathy Kleiman
ACM's Internet Governance Project