[ncdnhc-discuss] time for a change?

George Sadowsky George.Sadowsky at attglobal.net
Fri Oct 26 03:22:14 CEST 2001

Dave,

Perhaps you're right.

It's more difficult to deal with personalities than issues.  However,
I've found in my experience that with the right people involved,
almost any structure works well, whereas with the wrong people
involved, no structure or method of interaction works well.  Based on
that, I'd say that we have some people involved who are not helping
the process succeed.  And I am not referring to you.

I've said this before, and I know that some of you will bristle at
it, but I need to repeat it.   In ignoring the wealth of technical
background and industry experience that people like Dave and Kent
Crispin have, you are ignoring the reality of what makes the net
work.  If you don't listen to these arguments and understand them,
you come into conflict with reality.  Reality will win.  If you
filter these people, you do so at your own peril.

A long time ago I raised the following question in this group, and
tried to answer it in part:

"What are the issues in Internet administration that should most
concern this constituency, and how can we best attack them in terms
of coming to as consensual a position as possible?"

Now I think that is the right question for this group.  But I don't
see discussion attempting to answer this question.  I see fighting,
tangents, attempts at parliamentary procedures that end up in
confusion, misunderstandings galore, etc.

I don't have a copy of my response to my own question, but I think it
could be useful to focus on it.  What issues are central to our
concerns, and how can we constructively deal with them.  I dropped
out of this list, and took NYU with me, because I felt that the
environment was so hostile to consensus that it simply wouldn't
happen.

Is there any agreement that we are not addressing this question
directly and that we should do so, or am I a lone voice in the
wilderness here ....

George Sadowsky