[ncdnhc-discuss] Resolution on ORG Divestiture

Marc Schneiders marc at schneiders.org
Thu Oct 18 02:56:10 CEST 2001

I have not had much opportunity to read my email the last 5 days, as I
had reasons to be abroad, in Berlin. So I hope I do offend anyone, by
attaching my comments to this particular email in a long thread. I may
have missed something. Apologies.

The NC task force, of which I am (was?) a member (on behalf of the
GA), did not make any decisions on the ways to use the 'profit' of the
new ORG registry. Naturally this does not imply that the NCDNHC cannot
do suggestions on this topic. Since the task force deliberately left
matters like this 'in the middle' I am somewhat reluctant to comment.

Still, as a member of the NCDNHC, my feeling would be, that the best
thing for the internet in general as well as non-commercial users of
domain names in particular would be that the ORG registry was to use
the money it makes to keep ORG names as CHEAP as possible, as well as
to finance a DEMOCRATIC governance of the registry. Moving funds
between organizations of different types is never a good idea, if we
like to keep things clear. I would like to see CHEAP ORG names, so
that they are affordable to everyone, relatively of course, and a
policy setting body (either board or council), that takes the
interests of the registrants (both present and new) as their primary
concern (and not [you can fill this in yourself]). So no 'taxes' on
names in new ORG, as far as I am concerned. ICANN will, no doubt,
expect something. Nothing additional, please, please.

I am dreaming of ORG names, including email and URL forwarding for $20
for five years.

--
Marc at Schneiders.ORG