[ncdnhc-discuss] Resolution on ORG Divestiture

Chris Bailey chrisbailey at gn.apc.org
Tue Oct 16 14:17:15 CEST 2001

Surely, we are talking potentially about tens of millions of dollars a year
here? Travel subsidy for non-commercial interests would be just one very
tiny aspect of what could be done with this kind of money. Certainly, I
would think Digital Divide issues would be a major item we would want to
use it for, but not the only one. Why not "to support non-commercial
Internet interests"?

But the big issue at this point, surely, on which everything else hinges is:

"The Task Force specifically requests public comment on the feasibility and
desirability of using the contract between the SO and the registrars to
ensure that the marketing and branding practices specified in the .org TLD
Charter are upheld."

Potentially, this could mean, with a suitable charter, creating
non-commercial registrars who would channel money into a trust fund
administered by the sponsoring organisation. This could certainly be put
forward as an essential aspect of "marketing and branding" a non-commercial
.org.

Chris Bailey
European Internet Rights Coordinator
Association for Progressive Communications