[ncdnhc-discuss] Re: About Alternative Naming Scheme: (was before Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] Re: Why is "Marketing ccTLDs as generics"on NC Agenda?)

Jefsey Morfin jefsey at wanadoo.fr
Fri Oct 5 19:02:42 CEST 2001

Dave,
this is what Vany is wanting to discuss.

On 17:19 05/10/01, Dave Crocker said:
>all of the previous alternate root efforts also "used" the ICANN
>root.  they used it as a base and THEN THEY ADDED TO IT.
>It is the addition of TLDs that are not in the ICANN root that is the
>problem.  This is covered in:
>
><http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-crocker-unique-assign-01.txt>

I am glad you eventually acknowledge that "alternative (sic) roots" are
value added roots. This kills half of ICP-3 and most of the objections to
the so-called "alternative" roots. No risk to go where you do not want to
go - the archi used stupid argument against "alt.roots" - except when Vint
creates a collider.

Now, your document: "This paper describes technical requirements for
centralized administration".

I fully accept that decentralization and then distribution may seem
unatural to many. I also accept that old timers started building ARPANet as
a DoD contracted network and did not fully saw the impact of Louis Pouzin's
contributions (zones, end to end datagrams), the power of the international
data network naming plan, the way the interconnect/international system
developped.

But never the less the result is here. There is a word totally foreign to
the Internet and it is  "centralized".

Security and governance conflicts are over the "root" and its management.
The root is an out of context concept. I think we will see it fade away
through a re-reading of the naming plan and of BIND by new ventures such as
New.net, or more like XTNS. After 16 years ...

Jefsey