[ncdnhc-discuss] Proposed Names Council resolution on GAC/country names

Philip Sheppard philip.sheppard at aim.be
Fri Oct 5 09:48:26 CEST 2001

Vany,
thanks for your comments on the GAC proposal.

I did consider exactly what you are suggesting but decided against it for
two reasons:

1. The clash between geographical indications and other names is VERY
complex. There are few people I know in the ICANN process who understand the
difference between geographical indications of origin, geo-political
indicators, geographical identifiers, appellations of origin etc. The
expertise on this issues and work in progress is at WIPO.

2. WIPO is a body where governments are represented (and NGOs give advice)
so it is trusted by the GAC.

We have more urgent issues to spend time on at ICANN.

Philip.