[ncdnhc-discuss] Names Council Task Force ORG policy

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Thu Oct 4 00:19:10 CEST 2001

Vany:
This IS the document that will be released for
public comment.

I will try to answer your specific questions below.

>>> vany_martinez at yahoo.com 10/03/01 03:39PM >>>
I though that, at least, the .ORG should be restricted
for Commercial Uses and/or Commercial Registrants.

MM ===> This issue has been debated for some time,
both on this list and among the Task Force. The consensus
view is that there is no feasible way to restrict ORG
using advance controls on registration without massively
increasing the cost of registrations, and that such controls
would be meaningless anyway because there are already
numerous commercial registrations in ORG. There are
too many "borderline cases" and nothing is gained by
trying to weed them out.

No one supports evicting current registrants.
The approach we take to this problem is exactly what came
out of our discussions in NCDNHC. We propose to reorient the
marketing of ORG, and rely on end user choice. You have to
get used to the idea that ORG is an EXISTING TLD, not a
new one. You can't wipe the slate clear and start over.

I do not understand this concern, anyway. There is no
great demand by commercial interests to register in ORG.
The only problem is defensive registrations.
The existing UDRP can take care of infringing
registrations. As new TLDs are added, there will be
more alternatives for users. The people who register in
ORG will be the people who want to be associated with
the image or "brand" created by the newORG registry.

[ SNIP ]

> 2. Characteristics of the Sponsoring Organization
> Administration of the .org TLD should be delegated
> to a
> non-profit Sponsoring Organization (SO) with
> international support and participation from current
> .org registrants and non-commercial organizations
> inside and outside of the ICANN process.

[The sponsoring organization]
should also include those non-commercial organizations
that are also under the ccTLDs.

MM ===> Read the words carefully, please.
Are the organizations you are concerned about
"noncommercial organizations?" If so, the words
include them.

> It should be
> authorized to contract with commercial service
> providers to perform technical and service
> functions.
Why is this excluding non-commercial providers?

MM ===> It doesn't exclude anyone. Read the
words carefully.

I would change the word "SELL" for "REGISTER", since
this would imply that a Registrar can BUY a domain
names and then the Registrar can sell it to an end
user.

MM ===> If this is legal under the current SRS, it
will be legal under the new ORG. If it is not legal
under the current SRS, it will not be under the new
ORG. This is not a relevant issue.

Is the charter of this TF to review the applications
for .ORG Registry and receive its consent?

MM ====> No. The TF reviews the request for
applications drafted by the ICANN staff.
The actual winner of the award is selected
by the ICANN Board, of course. Review by the TF
is merely intended to insure consistency of
the document with DNSO policy.