[ncdnhc-discuss] No new LA agenda

Dany Vandromme vandrome at renater.fr
Mon Oct 1 20:12:37 CEST 2001

Milton Mueller wrote:

> Dany:
> Did the ICANN staff consult with anyone before attempting to
> redefine the ENTIRE agenda of all supporting organizations and
> constituencies?

-
****
There is no parallel between ICANN and its staff and NCDNHC and its adcom
1) ICANN staff is not elected
2) I doubt that a single staff member would voice on behalf of ICANN,
without consultation with other staff member.
3) I do not see how ICANN staff is planning to force the NCDNHC agenda,
in any way!

My concern was not addressing the attitude of ICANN staff about the MdR
agenda, but about you expressing a NCDNHC view near the NC without even
consulting others constituency members.

****

About the MdR schedule, I think that the Internet stability cannot
considered without addressing also security concerns. In particular with
regards of the architecture and the locations of the root servers.
Jefsey Morfin mentionned similar concerns in a earlier mail. This is
also under ICANN's responsability, and not so far of our "naming policy" concerns.

I would support most of Froomkin's remarks, about the agenda hijacking,
except I consider that Lynn is certainly more a board member rather than
a staff member, even if he did not get the same legitimity as the
elected ones.
The endless complaints against ICANN staff seems out of focus. I
strongly doubt that the decision of a major change in the meeting agenda
is made only by ICANN staff initiative without getting the approval of
board members. I may have an erroneous view of the role of a board, but
the formal power of the staff is certainly not as important as people
keeps complaning about!

As Vany suggested, let's wait to see more details of the ICANN agenda,
and let's not refrain to prepare our own meeting agenda with our
specific concerns first, and the needed openning for other topics (like
security) if it is requested by members.

Dany
Dany VANDROMME                    |  Directeur du GIP RENATER

                Reseau National de Telecommunications
         pour la Technologie, l'Enseignement et la Recherche

                                  |  ENSAM
Tel   :  +33 (0)1 53 94 20 30     |  151 Boulevard de l'Hopital
Fax   :  +33 (0)1 53 94 20 31     |  75013 Paris
E-mail: Dany.Vandromme at renater.fr |  FRANCE